EVERYONE LOVES CHOCOLATE, so here's a gooey chocolatey treat - and aphrodisiac cocktail - to end the evening with your Valentine this year.
Chef KTD Liz Madsen shows our producer, Sarah Gonzales, how to make a sweet, sexy and surprisingly easy dessert: molten chocolate cake and a "Persephone" cocktail that's sure to bring out the spring in anyone!
Molten Chocolate Cake
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks)
- 8 oz semi-sweet chocolate
- 5 eggs
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 4 TB flour
Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Melt butter and chocolate in a double-boiler on the stove or in microwave.
- Beats eggs, sugar and salt until sugar dissolves.
- Fold egg mixture into melted chocolate.
- Add flour, stir until combined.
- Fill ramekins half full. Or use muffin cups.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes.
- Serve with powdered sugar, berries and/or whipped cream.
(Note: for those with dinner reservations, you can do steps 1-5 ahead of time, just let batter return to room temp before baking.)
- 1/3 cup dried lavender
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 oz pomegranate juice
- 2-3 oz frozen berries
- 2 oz vodka, rum, Champagne, or soda water
- Place sugar and lavender in food processor or blender, whir together until fine.
- Wet the rim of a glass, dip in lavender sugar.
- Pour in pomegranate juice, add frozen berries instead of ice.
- Top off with your choice of alcohol or soda water for a "mocktail".
Cheers and Happy Valentine's Day!
Liz is the pastry chef at Kinley's Restaurant in Anchorage. Check out the past episodes of Chef KTD: Chocolate Ganache with Fruit; Strawberry-stuffed French Toasts; Care Package Sugar Cookies.