INTERNATIONAL BACKPACKING TRIPS prior to starting college are a time honored tradition among recent high school graduates. Frequent KTD Teen Contributor Aviva Hirsch graduated from high school one semester early and decided to explore New Zealand with nothing more than the pack on her back while working on organic farms, staying in hostels. Oh, and she did it all by herself.
While she was there, she sent back audio dispatches and many photos to let us know what this first taste of traveling freedom was like.
- Part 1: She's Leaving Home - After graduating high school one sememester early, Aviva leaves Alaska to backpack, solo, through New Zealand.
- Part 2: Flying High Over Hippy Heaven - Aviva stays with Alaskan friends in NZ, gets a ride on a homemade plane, then sets out to truly begin her solo trip.
- Part 3: Hitchhiking to a Hot Soak - It's okay, moms, everyone hitchhikes in NZ.
- Part 4: Remarkable Hiking, Scenery & Friends of Friends - Connecting with friends of friends back home leads to an amazing mountain climb.
- Part 5: Beets, Boulders & the Beautiful Stories People Tell - Aviva works on organic farms and gets to know the people of NZ.
- Part 6: World Music Around the World - The young reporter meets up with public radio in NZ, attends an outdoor music festival.
- Part 7: Undiscovered Paradise & Chatty Rowboat Captains - Getting lost and found in NZ.
- Part 8: Last Days in New Zealand - Making the final days in NZ count, Aviva gets around as much as possible.
- Part 9: Leaving NZ, Coca Cola Scholars, Meeting Morgan Freeman - Aviva learns she's won a scholarship so she cuts her trip short to return to the US.